Saturday, December 3, 2011

Random Facts

So, it's Saturday- I ALMOST forgot I was supposed to post today...
Anyways, I'm just going to share random facts with you, since I don't feel like doing a book review or something of that sort. I unearthed them while researching for my book, or I learned of them sometime during the school day.

1. A female tiger is actually called a tigress. I have always thought it was just tiger...

2. Magenta, from Blues Clues, is a guy and Blue is a girl. I got that backwards for most of my childhood. Well, until about a month ago.

3. The Egyptian god of chaos was called Apophis.

4. During a time in ancient China, sometime before 1450 AD, women were forced to bind their feet, from the age of six up. Their foot bones would grow deformed, into this claw-like shape. It was considered attractive by men, and marriage was vital back then. The fact that their feet grew deformed meant that it was painful to move about, and restricted women to the home, thus reinforcing that stupid "men are superior" idea that people had in their heads back then.

5. Narcissus was a young man in Greek mythology who refused love, including that of someone named Echo, who made him fall in love with his own reflection. Since his reflection obviously couldn't love him back, Narcissus wasted away into a flower.

Do you have any trivial information to share? Because I love trivial info; I eat it up like chocolate. Well, not literally, but still. So, to end with a completely irrelevant quote:
"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...