Thursday, August 2, 2012

#3


Wow, I haven't written one of these in forever! 
(See post #1 here and post #2 here)  

Continuing my personal series, I'll be talking about starting over today. Or going back to square one. Whatever you'd like to call it. 

How do you know if you're ready to give up what you've been working on and begin again, with nothing? I can't answer that of course, as it varies from person to person. But...I've decided to do it and I want to share with you all how I came to that decisions.

For months and months, I wrote in short spurts: different characters, different settings, action scenes, crowd scenes, quiet conversations. But it wasn't one big storyline I was working on it. Heck, I'm not even sure what to call it. Going in circles since 2009 is pretty much the only way to describe my writing life since 2009. There's also the discouragement I felt when I picked up a published book and thought, "Hey this sounds close to something I scribbled about." 

I think if you find yourself stuck like I did, let it all go. I'll be keeping my papers and notebooks but I don't plan on playing around with those words anymore. I've grown so much since I branched away from fan fiction years ago and tried just...fiction. It wouldn't be fair, I believe, to keep chipping at what my awkward block of ideas.

So as of today, August 2nd 2012, I call myself neither a writer nor a scribbler...because I have nothing. But that's not to say I will never have anything written down. I'm going back to the basics: seeking inspiration in music, art, nature, etc. and considering "what if" questions, about things that really matter to me. That's what I'll be focusing on in the near future. 

And hopefully, something good and fiction-y will come from it all. It's August already, more than halfway through the year, and there's just no more time to look back. 

Hope you have an inspired week, no matter where you are in the writing process. <3

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhcLO_I_7r7CeuIMHBKOsXTL7p00clKr3XEXyKa-qF27vYY6S_LMVap_jRXu2HmwBxGTbuNx5gsNQuP-j4MoAcSyUVIR-kqtN-h-dXK1xzCbZWUg5fjrRHK3YmjIG2g9DrPbddVEFO7gpk/s200/coollogo_com-257382034.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...