Thursday, July 12, 2012

Currently Reading

Hi all. I haven’t had much time to think about writing (or actually write, boo!). So I’m doing a brief post about the books I’ve been reading! This summer is my last chance to read whatever I want (which means digging into my huge YA pile) before I move for school. Anyway, I promise that the next one or two posts from me will be more writing-oriented.  =)


1) Skylark by Meaghan Spooner

 Summary:For fifteen years, Lark Ainsley waited for the day when her Resource would be harvested and she would finally be an adult. After the harvest she expected a small role in the regular, orderly operation of the City within the Wall. She expected to do her part to maintain the refuge for the last survivors of the Wars. She expected to be a tiny cog in the larger clockwork of the city. Lark did not expect to become the City’s power supply. For fifteen years, Lark Ainsley believed in a lie. Now she must escape the only world she’s ever known…or face a fate more unimaginable than death.”  **

This was one of the two titles I actually bought ALA. It is a finished hardcover. The book jacket is gorgeous and shiny! I totally love it. I’m just past part I and am liking it so far. It’s got a futuristic Alice in Wonderland sort of feel (to me anyway): the main character is alone and disoriented, and there are some odd and fantastical elements that she faces. Not really sure where it’s going plot-wise, but I’m curious to see. I believe the official release date is August 1, 2012 and will be available through various online retailers.

Also, the author is hosting a giveaway right now. You can check it out on her website: http://www.meaganspooner.com/the-skys-the-limit-contest-for-skylark/

** [photo & text credit to author and publisher Carolrhoda Lab]

2) Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Summary: “Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair… .Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily doesn’t believe in love stories or happy endings. Then she meets the alluring teenage Peter Pan in the forbidden woods of Neverland and immediately falls under his spell. Peter is unlike anyone she’s ever known. Impetuous and brave, he both scares and enthralls her. As the leader of the Lost Boys, the most fearsome of Neverland’s inhabitants, Peter is an unthinkable match for Tiger Lily. Soon, she is risking everything—her family, her future—to be with him. When she is faced with marriage to a terrible man in her own tribe, she must choose between the life she’s always known and running away to an uncertain future with Peter.

With enemies threatening to tear them apart, the lovers seem doomed. But it’s the arrival of Wendy Darling, an English girl who’s everything Tiger Lily is not, that leads Tiger Lily to discover that the most dangerous enemies can live inside even the most loyal and loving heart.”  **

Well, I received a surprise ARC of this in the mail from HarperTeen. It was nice of them to send it without me requesting it! I’m not very far into it, but it sounds good. Although, I’ve never read her previous work, so the writing style and narration are a bit difficult for me to adjust to.

You can visit her on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/jodilynnandersonbooks) or Twitter (https://twitter.com/jodilynna).

** [photo & text credit to author and publisher HarperTeen. Taken from Goodreads]

What are you reading this week? <3

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhcLO_I_7r7CeuIMHBKOsXTL7p00clKr3XEXyKa-qF27vYY6S_LMVap_jRXu2HmwBxGTbuNx5gsNQuP-j4MoAcSyUVIR-kqtN-h-dXK1xzCbZWUg5fjrRHK3YmjIG2g9DrPbddVEFO7gpk/s200/coollogo_com-257382034.png

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter right now, it's a little slow, but has an interesting plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to read Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater but I'm not too sure if it's my kind of book. Oh well, I'll at least try it. :] Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...