Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Distractions...

Happy Independance Day, fellow US citizens!


And for any non-US citizens, happy Wednesday! I have a special picture for y'all, too.



This is late - like, 11:00 pm late. I'm sorry.

It's so hard to focus on stuff. In this fast-paced, technological world, it is easy to be distracted by the simplest things. I planned on writing 2,000 words today, and I ended up watching TV and staring at the ceiling. Now I'm rushing through 1,000 words, and I'll fall asleep after. Yet here I am, distracted by blogging.

When you don't have something to focus on (and oftentimes when you DO have more important things to do), your mind will distract itself. Without school, my mind is a blur of "I've got to do this, but really, I never noticed how interesting the ceiling looks. I think I'll google how to paint a ceiling instead." Here are some tips to keep on task with your writing:

1. Never, under any circumstance, tell yourself that "you'll do it later". Because you know you won't.

2. Time your breaks. Obviously, you can't write from the moment you wake up till the moment you fall asleep. Maybe take an hour after you wake up for breakfast/coffee/reading before you go to write. Maybe take twenty minutes for lunch instead of however long you want it to take. Your mind is easier to keep focused if you have a nice, clear schedule.

3. Don't let your cat sleep on your computer while you're away from it. Or any pets, for that matter. You'll be distracted by the long "sajkhrfeulrgtuigtgdgfskjhjrkejjkkk" and any possible damage to your keyboard. 

4. Don't tempt yourself. Work away from distractions like the TV, or cut off internet access.

This is my meager list of tips. I have a big issue on this particular topic, and while some of these tips may not work for you, it is how I keep my sanity when it comes to writing.

I don't really have much to add on. So have a blessed week!

1 comment:

  1. The cat tip had me laughing. :D It's surprising, but those things do happen. I have problems will the internet when I'm supposed to be writing, so I'll just try turning it off from now on. Great post and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...